Sunday, August 5, 2007

LOTUS



I did this painting as a tribute to the Lotus Sutra which I was studying at that time.

The Lotus Sutra's philosophy and wisdom edifies the positive within the negative. Like the beautiful Lotus flower that emerges from muck so does everything else in life. How would there be good if there was no evil, how would there be light if there was no darkness, how would there be life if there was no death... and so on.

This painting signifies the possibility and the finality of the positive within the negative.

I have used texture white to give it it's texture. Done with acrylics on canvas board, it consists of two panels. I call this phase of mine the panel phase. Perhaps I have resorted to using small panels as my health does not allow me to stand and lean for hours over a big canvas, it is easier for me to work with smaller panels on the table.

Again and again I find myself breaking down my artwork to their simplest forms omitting all details, almost like one would find in any animated work, like comic books for eg. very graphic. I enjoy this style of work very much specially the textures and the pure colours.

No comments: